Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Software vaguries

I spend most of my time writing software. Let me preface what I'm about to say with the following, I am a Java developer. My area of expertise is with server side development. That said ...

Who's brain damaged misbegotten excuse for an idea was ColdFusion anyway? The company I work for asked me to take on maintaining and finishing a project that had been written in ColdFusion. Ok, it's a tag based wrapper for html and javascript. Simple enough in and of its self.

Add into this the fact that my predecessor decided it would be useful or maybe just entertaining to build into the application a pseudo-object oriented processor so that they could make believe that ColdFusion was anything resembling an object oriented platform. Ok, in all fairness I actually did this once myself about 10 years ago in another platform. (Don't ask it's a hideous memory that I try to repress.)

In essence what they've done here is to have the home page of the application act as a pseudo-object handler they pass a parameter into the page on the url that contains something that bears a resemblence to a Java package structrure. As an example they would have a url that looked approximately like this ( server/application?method=folder.folder.coldfusionfile.cf ) ...

All this does in reality is to add to the amount of code that's required because now in the home page there has to be a means to parse that parameter and make some sense out of it, and then point at the right page to load. It also adds an enormous amount of complexity to the operation as a whole.

ColdFusion does have a place in the universe, for shops without real programming talent (Read as either Java or .Net), but are heavy with design people, and if the chief interest is in the appearance of the site as opposed to the functionality, sure it's great. It's not the way I would approach the problem, but it does work in that context.

All that said, I'd be happier if I never had to touch ColdFusion again. EVER !

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian McCord said...

Hehe. Noticed that you didn't put a link to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ in your links section.

You are an honorary .NET developer now after that miracle you pulled off with that C# app. ;-)

13:37  
Blogger Brian McCord said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

13:54  
Blogger OOPLord said...

Thank you. I'll be sure and add the appropriate link to th elinks section.

09:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home